Saturday 17 September 2011

DISTORTED CHILDHOOD


" A hundred years should go to praise,
  Thine eyes and on thy forehead gaze "
- Andrew Marwell, To His Coy Mistress
 Oh, my beloved, your eyes are as deep as the ocean,
 Your lips are as red as roses
 Let me take a deep into thy ocean,
 Let me smell your sweet fragrance.
  
 She recalls this poem many years later while sitting in an easy chair, accompanied by nurses. Oh! What has she done?   She suddenly gasps with horror! Rehana Khan, a young girl of twenty and one years. She has attempted to murder her fiance. The doctors of the Mental Asylum are working on her case.
  
Rehana Khan is the eldest daughter of  Ziyaur Rahman Khan, a politician, an MP for the past twenty years. Her engagement had created a lot of buzz in the country. Salim Reza, the only son of the Prime Minister Sheikh Abdul Goni of Bangladesh is Rehana khan's fiance.
They were a perfect couple, so everybody said. What could possibly there go wrong? Though people spoke about her as an introvert, nobody has guessed that her silence could be so dangerous! Salim has been admitted to Dhaka Medical Hospital. When the police in charge asked for his statement, Salim told him that Rehana's attack was completely unexpected. It was very sudden and she stabbed him from the back. She was found unconscious on the spot.

The investigation by the Police Department revealed some significant evidence that disclosed the mystery.

A letter found in Rehana's Diary......
Dear Amma,
I could not pluck enough courage to tell you what I am going to tell you now. It happened a long time ago but I could not understand it then. Remember, when I was in class I, Abbu had kept a house tutor for me. Jahangir Alam Sir was not the good person that everybody thought him to be. Amma, he was so scary, he used to show me a lot of unnecessary love and affection. He was a strange person, he often used to beat me when I did not listen to him and ran away from him. But he bought me my favorite candies every day and I could not help but go near him.
Sometimes he would recite some complicated poems which I could hardly understand. He would sometimes lock the study room door and, would shower unwanted kisses on me. Amma, believe me, I did not take it otherwise but now when I recall what it leads to I cannot stop weeping and blaming my bad fortune.
Amma, I think all men are the same, they use these words of love and beauty to flatter women.
Your Daughter Rehana.

Rehana's mother, Ms. Rezina Khan was a social figure, too. She used to be involved in social affairs, charity, and parties. Rehana, therefore, had been a lonely child.
The psychiatrist who was taking care of Rehana's case later decided that Rehana was suffering from paranoid schizophrenia. She believed firmly that everyone is going to harm her. The next day her body was found floating on the river Budiganga.
The day before, her fiance had come to persuade her. In the process, he had come too close for her comfort. She thought that after her marriage nobody will come to her rescue. So she will be bound to live with that man. Thinking of her past she was very scared of her future. So she didn't wish to see the next dawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment